lunes, 28 de febrero de 2011

The Cabin Trip

The trip to the cabin was good, but too short, as always. The time there was split evenly between work and play. The first day we cut down several trees for firewood. We ended up with enough split & stacked for about a two year supply.

Day two was largely play time. One of the guys along on the trip is a police firearms trainer. So, he ran me through some shooting on the move drills. I ended up having one problem. When leaving the house, I grabbed a bag of .223, and noticed it was in Federal brass. I haven’t used Federal in years, and wondered why I had it sitting around. It wasn’t until I began shooting that I realized what it was. I had hurriedly loaded some cases that I had not trimmed to length. I was putting a light crimp on them, and the ones that were a bit long resulted in a bit of a bulge at the lower end of the shoulder. I had set them aside to be pulled, and fixed later. Obviously I had not marked the bag well enough. So, while using them, I got a jam every three to four rounds. While being maddening, it did work well for the training, as I could shout for cover fire and transition to my backup, while continuing to advance on the target.

Most of my shooting is at the range, either off the bench, or in position. I rarely am able to practice things like shooting on the move, as my range is fairly formal, and does not have facilities for anything like that. So, it was some good practice. It was quite a bit of fun, and something I need to do more of.

The rest of the time at the cabin was spent gathering and eating oysters, drinking Manhattans, and listening to good stories. I need to make more time in my life for things like that.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario